Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Sleep, Or Lack Thereof

Anders was frantically screaming in the night. It was a jarring way to be brought out of a deep sleep, especially being a sleep deprived mom of a newborn. I stumbled into his room and found him half way out of bed. I asked what was wrong, he replied, "My nose won't let me breathe." I tried not to giggle. I helped him back in bed, got him a cloth to which he whimpered a request for tissues. I set him up more verticle with his pillows and told him he could breathe through his mouth. That seemed to finally help him relax. Then I explained he didn't have to scream like that at night and wait for us to come. I told him he could come into our room and ask for help. The concept was completely foreign to him. When I crawled back into bed I couldn't help but giggle over his panic at not being able to breathe through his nose. I whimsically thought how wonderful it would be to have the worries of a three-year-old again. 

My sister sent a great package to us today. She sent some Reese's pieces for the boys. I told them they could each try one because I knew they weren't going to rest until they did. David put one on the table for each of them. Anders exclaimed, "What in this world, it's orange!". Bram's little voice parroted, "What in this world, orange!" Then they plopped them in their mouth and thoughtfully said, "I think it's chocolate." My sister who sent the package is always saying, "What in the world!" Anders picked up the phrase when they visited last St. Patrick's Day. It was fitting he would use the phrase when trying the candy she sent. 

No comments: